Monday, May 5, 2008

No More McDonalds French Fries

I do try to teach my kids healthy eating habits, so we do not eat at McDonald's on a regular basis. But on particularly busy days sometimes the drive through is the best option. The Happy Meals are safe for K. and R. to eat. I would get french fries for C. and then make his special nuggets at home. Well no longer. I do not remember where I first heard that McDonald's french fries may contain wheat. Sure enough, when I checked their web site I found that they do contain : WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.)

I know when we were first diagnosed with food allergies I looked up the ingredients for the french fries, and they were safe. That was about 2 years ago. I am not sure when they made this change I am just glad I caught it. When managing kids with food allergies you can never be too safe. This is just good a reminder that manufacturers do change their ingredients. It is a good idea to re check the ingredients of foods, even if it has previously been considered a "safe" food for your child.

3 comments:

FoodAllergyMom said...

We made the same discovery recently (not that Emily should have been eating them anyway since "natural beef flavor" implies the presence of beef which she's also allergic to), it was kinda depressing since that was her one eating out treat. I think it came to light because McDonalds was being sued by a large autism foundation.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

The allergens first "popped up" when the new label laws came into effect. We used to eat them too, but sadly, they are now a no no for us too.
We didn't eat there very often either, but it was the ONE treat that my son could have when we were out and about.

Modern Allergy Mom said...

I decided to check the Burger King website. They seem to be allergen free - egg, peanut, wheat, dairy and are fried in a dedicated fryer. Of course they do have trans fats , but if you are on the road and in a pinch..... :)