Friday, May 30, 2008

Allergy Shots?

We saw the allergist yesterday regarding Katie and Ryan's environmental allergies. I just wanted to make sure that their ear, nose and throats were looking OK, and confirm that the current treatment was working. I also wanted to see Dr. M one last time before she relocates out of state. I am very sad about this. We tried a number allergists before we connected with Dr. M. She was the first doctor that really took the time to talk about all my concerns and go over all the information. I had done so much of my own research that, I knew a lot of what she brought up - but it was nice to have the verification that I was doing the right things.


Everything is fine - she gave me some Nasonex for Ryan to use on the bad days. She also spoke to Katie about considering allergy shots. Basically she needs Claritin and Nasonex every day or her symptoms return immediately. She is a really good candidate for allergy shots. But, she is six years old and does NOT want to get shots every week. I can not, and will not, force her to get the shots. I need to find a way to get her on board. I would be OK with a reward system - but I do not want to go overboard. I am not sure if a trip to Starbucks each time is the right thing to do? I would get her a small toy very couple of months or so if she was good. Perhaps a sticker chart? Leading up to a bigger reward?

Has anyone else gone through this? How did you get your child to get the shots?

I have had such a bad spring with my own allergies, that I am considering testing myself and getting shots. I though if we went together it might help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have not had to do those shots, thankfully. So, I cannot speak from experience on that. But, I can say that I have gone the route of giving small toys (like $0.99 matchbox cars) for rewards and what a mistake that has been! Now, my 4-year-old asks for toys constantly, every time we go out and do anything the least bit challenging. Ugh, I regret the toys for rewards route.

I think I need to start doing a sticker reward chart here too, actually, to space the rewards out more. But maybe instead of toys, something different like a "We did a good job so let's bake a cake and decorate it", or maybe buy a craft kit and get messy!

You are smart to be wary of going overboard with the treats. That can really grow into a problem!

Hopefully, someone can comment on the shots. I would be interested to know if giving allergy shots is common for that age group. (Seems so young, but I know nothing about this at all!) Best wishes on this.

Modern Allergy Mom said...

The craft kit is a realy good idea. She loves to do projects, especially w/o her brothers around. The more I think about the sticker chart I like it. She would love a trip to the pottery you paint place, or a little girl manicure. Too bad she already has her ears pierced. I think I will hold off another year and see how she feels.