Monday, May 12, 2008

I was Inspired to Bake Today


I am on a mission to find more family friendly allergy free foods. Since it is food allergy week I have decided to try some new things. Today I was inspired to bake. I will admit that baking without standard wheat flour does intimidate me quite a bit. When I read my first recipes and saw how many ingredients I had to blend to replace wheat flour, I pretty much shut down. That was a couple of years ago, am now I think I am ready to face the challenge. But if I can find a short cut, you bet I am going to take it! I had purchased some bread mixes made by Gluten Free Pantry, and I thought I would give them a try.

The first was the Ginger Spice Cake Mix. Since C. is allergic to banana I have wanted to bake applesauce bread for him. I mixed the following:
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Added the dry mix and then folded in ¼ cup of applesauce, in place of the egg. I baked these in mini muffin pans instead of a loaf pan for 15 – 17 min. I find mini muffins to be more convenient for the kids and easy to freeze.

I have to say that they were really good! The whole family loved them. J You would never know that they did not have wheat and eggs. This will be a great treat to bring to preschool next year. They would also make a great cupcake - perhaps with cream cheese frosting. They are pretty sweet, so I think next time I will try unsweetened applesauce.

I was feeling really good about my results with the muffins, so I thought I would try the Sandwich Bread mix. I have hesitated in the past as we can not use egg, and the recipe calls for 2 eggs. I have been unsure if you can use egg replace in yeast bread. I finally just decided to give it a try. I mixed the bread according to the directions for the oven method. I used Ener-G egg replacer in place of the egg. I have heard from 2 different sources that this egg replace works best when you use double the amount of powder for water. So, to replace 2 eggs I used 6 tsp of egg replacer whisked with 2 tbsp warm water.

I let the bread rise for 40 min – it did not seem to rise as high as I would have thought. I am not sure if this has to do with the egg substitute or not. I decided to bake it anyway. I would say that this bread is pretty good. It is a little dense, buy fairly moist and good flavor. My kids enjoyed it toasted with soy nut butter. I will try using it to make a grilled cheese sandwich tomorrow. This bread is not as dry as the pre made brown rice bread that I usually buy, that is pretty terrible.

Does anyone out there know how to make good sandwich bread without wheat and egg?

3 comments:

FoodAllergyMom said...

I use Pamela's wheat free bread mix and we love it, but it also is dense and moist and unless you cook it in a 4"x8" bread pan it comes out pretty flat. It is the loaf you seen in my avatar :)
Your muffuns look so yummy! I'm wondering why I have never tried Gluten Free Pantry before. Do they have dairy in them? Anyway, I am definitly going to try these if I can.

Modern Allergy Mom said...

I have heard great things about Pamela's. I think when I looked at it, it was make on equipment with nuts? I can't rememeber - but there was a reason we could not use it. The Gluten Free Pantry sandwich bread does contain milk. I do not think the gingerbread did, but I has to use buttermilk in the recipe. I do not know if you can use soy milk w/ lemon as a substitute? I might try Miss Roben's - it is made in a dedicated plant.

FoodAllergyMom said...

Oh, thank you! I was just about to place my allergygrocer order for the month, I will add that to my list. Also, yes, soymilk with lemon juice usually works great.