Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What has Happened to Tolerance and Compassion?

I came across this article today on newsday.com. - http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-linut035711913jun03,0,5213082.story Apparently American Airlines is being sued for allegedly endangering a boy with a nut allergy. The mother in the suit claims that despite all the precautions she took in advance to work with the airline to prevent peanuts from being served on the plane, the flight attendants served them anyway. I would be very upset if an airline seemingly ignored my requests as well, but I doubt that I would sue. Fortunately her son did not have a reaction on this, but I am sure it was a very stressful flight for the family.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the flaw in this case is that fortunately her child did not suffer a reaction or worse. It is sad to say, but it will probably take a tragedy for the airline industry to really step up and take notice. I have not flown with my children yet, but when I do I will do my research and be very selective on the airline I choose. I have heard that Jet Blue is great to work with.

I also took a few minutes to scroll through the comments following this article. I have to say that I was shocked and saddened by how flat out mean and inconsiderate a lot of the comments were. The comments being flung about were just hateful. People really think that we are going to ruin their lives by requesting that they go a few hours without a peanut! I know most of this stems from ignorance, but I can not help but get mad at how insensitive people are to others situations.
I want to make it clear – I am not looking to go around banning foods. I am not even convinced that we should ban peanuts from schools. I am trying to teach my kids that they need to learn to take care of themselves in a world where they are surrounded by allergens. This includes surrounding themselves with a supportive network of friends, family members, teachers and colleagues.

But what has happened to being tolerant and compassionate? I have never really understood what motivates a person to be so hateful. What else can we do to communicate the dangers of food allergies without creating barriers?

If you want to raise your blood pressure a few notches – check it out. If not , just take this entry as a reminder that our society is self centered and most people do not give a lick about anyone but themselves. The best thing that we, as allergy moms, can do is stick together to help each other out.

3 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh, I'll refrain from checking out comments. I've done that before and have been SHOCKED by what people have said. I don't know if they say these things for the shock value or if they truly believe them. You'd think the "peanut" was the end all be all. We live in a very self centered society and when someone would choose a peanut over someone elses safety, it's just plain sad.

Jenny said...

I, too, have seen the horrid comments about keeping airlines peanut-free. You'd think that you're depriving people of their lifeblood rather than peanuts for a few, insignificant hours.

I'm as shocked and saddened as you are but we all have to just keep fighting the good fight. I actually think the lawsuit was a good idea because sometimes that's what it takes for these "nutty" airlines to take notice. I'd rather a lawsuit than a death before they pay attention.

I sincerely don't understand why they just don't eliminate them from flights, period. Why take the risk???? It's not like airlines care about the passengers comfort. :)

Modern Allergy Mom said...

Jenny - you are right about the risk. So many other companies list extensive allergy warning just to cover themselves.