Sunday, June 29, 2008

Allergen Free Brownies


We finally got a chance to make the new brownie mix I purchased. It is the Ooey Gooey Chocolaty Brownie Mix from The Cravings Place. They are gluten free, wheat free, egg free, and nut free. It is hard to find gluten free items that do not pose a risk for cross contamination with our other allergens, so I was very excited to find this company. I especially love that the recipe does not even call for eggs, so I do not have to think about how the egg substitute will alter the brownies.

I have to give credit to my husband who actually baked them while I was out. When I came home they smelled wonderful. These brownies are great! Every member of the family loved them. They are light and fluffy - a little cake like. There are chocolate bits in the mix which become melted and gooey. You would never know that they were wheat and egg free. Some of my previous wheat free, egg free baking has come out really dense. I was surprised how light they were!

After the kids went to bed my husband and I ate them with vanilla ice cream. YUM! This will be a great mix to have on hand to take to parties and school functions. I think next time I might make a little frosting to spread on top.

The Cravings place offers several other cake, cookie and muffin mixes. I will definitely be trying more mixes from them. Check it out and let me know if you try any other mixes!

4 comments:

FoodAllergyMom said...

The Cravings Place Pancake and Waffle mix is a staple in our house. The company is right here in Bend Oregon where I live which I find terribly exciting (for some odd reason). I guess because we don't have a lot of allergy friendly products here. I love the brownies too! I'm glad you found them.

Unknown said...

This is excellent info! Thanks for sharing this. I am definitely going to try these. I'll have to look at their website more closely. Are they available in supermarkets?

Modern Allergy Mom said...

I found these products at a local health food store. The web site lists numerous online stores that offer the products. I wish chain stores would start to pick up more of these types of products.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post! I have been tryin to master a brownie recipe for some time now that is free of eggs, and nuts. I can't wait to give these a try!

Amy