Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Need Help Cooking Without Eggs

I am not one to bake from scratch. I always felt that cake mixes were better than anything I could do from scratch, so why bother? Well now with all the allergies we have, I guess I have to become more adventurous. I will admit I am resistant, and not patient enough to make the same thing over and over again until I get it right.

Tomorrow I take C. in for a food challenge to oat and peas. I need to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (with gluten free oats.) I should be doing that now, but the health food store left my safe chocolate chips out of the bag! UGH - I was ready to cry when I discovered that. C. is sleeping now so I have to wait to go back and get them. In between swimming lessons, swim team practice for my oldest and my physical therapy. I know I will not be baking these until 9:00 tonight.

Anyway here is my question for you daring bakers out there. There are so many ways to replace eggs (applesauce, flax seed, Ener G egg replacer etc.) What works best when? Is there a cheat sheet out there somewhere? I have also read more than once that when using the Ener G egg replacer it is better to double the powder used. I also was going to buy a safe brownie mix that called for 4 eggs. I hesitated because I thought when replacing that many eggs there is no way it would come out right. Someone at the health food store suggested using purred prunes. For a $10 box of brownies I was not willing to take a chance. It is a little confusing for us non bakers. I would love any help!!

Thanks!

5 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I've never used the flax seed but I've read where people have had great results with that. I've used the Ener-G and I always double the powder amount and I've done the applesauce. Applesauce works best for me in breads and muffins. The Ener-G works better for me in cookies. If doing the brownies and replacing the 4 eggs, I'd probably do 3 eggs worth of Ener-G and 2 eggs worth of applesauce and yes, I realize that it equals 5 not 4 :) I'm not sure I've ever replaced that many eggs before though. Let us know what you ended up doing and how it turned out.

Libby said...

The reason that eggs are so hard to replace is because they do so many things. They act as a binder, cause baked goods to rise, and add moisture and lubrication (fat). When you are trying to make a dish without eggs, you need to first figure out what function(s) they have in that dish, as well as what substitute complements the recipe flavor-wise. If you are looking for a binder, flax seed meal is excellent and has a slight nutty flavor that works well with both sweet and savory dishes, but does not have any rising ability. You can add baking powder (or soda if there is an acid to activate it) to get a baked good to rise. For just some moistness and a little binding in a quick bread, applesauce or mashed banana (or prunes)can work.

I think the prune suggestion was a pretty good one, but I think the Ener-G would work, too. For your brownie mix, you don't need a lot of lift, so I would just use four eggs worth of Ener-G, rather than double it. If the mix doesn't ask for oil to be added as part of the mixture already, then I would substitute a couple of tablespoons canola oil for some of the water mixed with the replacer. If you already have to add oil to the mix, don't worry about it.

I've seen lists of ways to replace eggs, but there isn't a definitive cheat sheet that I'm aware of. Speaking of "Daring Bakers," this would be an excellent question for you to post on their alternative baking boards. Hope very long answer helps! Libby

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, by the way. Have been reading for quite sometime.

Good luck with the food challenge.

To your question about egg-free baking:

Beware of substituting prunes (or bananas) for eggs -- both can have an overpowering taste. Also with banana - your recipe may brown too quickly.

The folks from Post-Punk Kitchen have the best guide of how to bake without eggs. I couldn't find it on the web -- but if you're ever in a bookstore, the original reference is "Vegan With a Vengeance" (195-7). Their advice is as follows:

flaxseeds: (1 T flaxseed plus 3 T. water = 1 egg). They say it works well in things like pancakes and such whole-grain items such as muffins or oatmeal cookies. I haven't tried it.

silken tofu: (1/4 C. blended silken tofu = 1 egg.) They say it works well in dense cakes and brownies, and in smaller quantities for lighter cakes and fluffy things. I have not had good luck baking with tofu -- except in matzoh balls, where it's great.

Ener-G Egg replacer (1 1/2 T. Energ-G + w T. water = 1 egg). They say it works best in cookies or things that are supposed to be crispy.

Soy Yogurt: (1/4 C. Soy yogurt = 1 egg.) They say it works best in breads, muffins, and cakes. I've tried this and been pleased with the results.

If all else fails -- use the standby 1 t. baking powder mixed with 1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. veg. oil. I use it in most recipes with good results.

Also -- if you want brownies, the cherrybrook kitchen mix is allergen free and totally amazing. you can get it at whole foods.

Good luck!

Modern Allergy Mom said...

Wow - thanks for all this helpful information! I am going to try to re cap it all in an entry later this week!

Speedbump Kitchen said...

I agree with kidsfoodallergies.com on the Post Punk Kitchen, their website is www.theppk.com and they have a section on vegan baking. I try not to scream when reading the vegan lament of trials and tribulations when baking. Knowing how hard we work to keep our kids safe and trying to make them feel "normal", I am baffled by perfectly healthy people who choose to eat this way. But I'm glad the vegan exist. My baking tip: If you screw up (and you will) cover the flopped experiment with tons of frosting and sprinkles, call it better than store bought, and move on!