Thursday, June 26, 2008

Allergen Free Food to Go

I just heard about this new business in Raleigh NC, and I think it is a great idea! Before we had picky kids with foods allergies I used to request a place called Let's Dish (there is also a similar business called Dinner Done.) If you are not familiar with the concept, it is an industrial style kitchen that supplies all the ingredients to make several meals. The idea is that you prep all your meals ahead and store them in the freezer. Then follow the directions for re heating at home and you have dinner ready in a snap. This is a life saver when you are working full time. However, when confronted with numerous food allergies this is no longer an option.

For people living with allergies in Raleigh, NC there is a new business called Rosie's Plate. They specialize in pre-prepped meals to go. They have built a brand new a gluten free, peanut free, and shellfish free facility just for this purpose. They use all natural and organic ingredients. They have also taken many precautions to assure the cleanliness and purity of their facility and food. More information regarding their practices can be found on their web site.

Rosie's Story is like many of our stories. She is a mom who struggled to feed her family healthy foods that were free of their multiple allergens. I think that it is great that Rosie not only took charge of her families allergies, but she has used her experience as an outlet to start her own business and help other families in similar situations. I love hearing positive stories about women starting businesses and helping other people.

If I lived in the Raleigh area, I would definitely check out Rosie's Plate. Hopefully it will be a success and we will see more allergy friendly food service businesses started around the country.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

That is a great idea. I post on Apfed and look around the net for ideas for very restricted diet recipes for my 8.5 yr. old - a child old enough to have eaten everything and misses so much. I am not finding a lot. I think, sadly, there are so many kids, young (especially younger) and old who are formula fed via tube, that actual meals and snacks are just not comprehensible. I feel bad asking. Of course, we are just starting our journey, so I fear the day when we are told that the diet isn't the answer and a liquid diet is the next step. I worry alot about things I can't control, that may not even happen!

The recipe books out there are full of mistakes. I need to re-do recipes with changes I think will help. Re: the business this woman started, I would worry so much about making a cross contam, mistake. being responsible for other people's feeding. How does that work, I wonder?