Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Playdough Issue

We are having our first allergy issue with school. C's teacher pulled me aside and said that the play dough recipe we were using was not working. I had previously shared a list of recipes for the moms to make safe play dough for the class. I made the first batch and all seemed well until today. I guess some of the dough that they have gotten has been wither too oily or too dry etc. She asked if I could make special dough for Connor and the rest of the class can have regular dough.

I am torn - I do not mind making C's dough at all. I am a bit worried that C will accidentally play with the wheat containing play dough and have a reaction. I am trying to figure out how to handle this. I guess I might need to make the class play dough every month? Or by a big batch of wheat free Aromadough for the class.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear of this problem. We do not have this issue because we've only got the peanut allergy.

Here's my 2 cents (for whatever it's worth!): if you can manage it, try to provide the playdough for the whole class. Then you won't have to worry about your child touching the other playdough. You shouldn't have to spend time or effort worrying about the playdough.Of course, I say all of this with no knowledge of how difficult it is to make that amount of playdough (over and over) or how much it costs to buy it.

Hope it works out ok one way or another.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

OH BOY! My son is anaphylactic to wheat, so I have asked that NO wheat play dough be used in class. The other class (he sometimes uses their room) decided not to use wheat play dough either. The teachers make rice flour dough for him. They also have "wheat free" play dough toys and make sure that they are kept safe for him. Can you offer to make play dough for the whole class? Good luck with this. Depending on *how* allergic your son is to wheat, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with having regular play dough used by the other children.

Anonymous said...

My daughter's former preschool teacher told me about a place where you can buy wheat free playdough. If you are interested, check it out:
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=7566&category=2715
Good luck!

Speedbump Kitchen said...

I would provide the whole batch for the class with a honey-sweet smile, but outsource the project to someone who loves you and your son and let them do it for you. Good grief, sorry you drew Inspector #9 on play-doh quality control. What happened to the good old days of playing with rocks and dirt.