Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wheat Free Play Dough

It is the custom in our preschool for the mom's to take turns making playdough for the class each month. Since C can not play with traditional playdough made from flour I worked up a plan to keep him safe. Before school started I met with his teachers to review all of his allergy information. At this meeting I brought up the issue and had printed up some wheat free playdough recipies I had found online. I figured that we would pass them out at BTS night. I also decided to volunteer to make playdough for September so I could make sure we got on the right track.




This is the playdough I made - it came out really great. The texture is really nice. I chose a recipie that called for shortening a a little vegetable oil. I thought it would make it more pliable and keep it from drying out. And it did! I ended up emailing all the recipies to the moms and got some really positive replies. I think overall they are really understanding and willing to try and help. It is nice to know that there are still some compassionate people out there. The teacher also asked me to share the recipie with the moms of the 2 day class that shares the room!

Here is the recipie:
2 c. cornstarch
1 c. salt
1 tbsp. shortening
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil

Mix and cook over low heat until mixture leaves edge of pan. Knead until smooth. Store in plastic bag or container at room temperature. I added food coloring and kneaded it in while the dough was still warm. I did wear gloves so I did not dye my hands green. Next time I am going to try adding it to the water fiirst.

1 comment:

Speedbump Kitchen said...

I think the homemade stuff is so much better than the other option! Kid #1 outgrew her wheat allergy, just in time for Kid#3 to be born with his...so we have a perpetual supply of this stuff. I use the recipe from Kid Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook, but it has some odd ingredients that aren't found in normal people's kitchens: 1 1/2 c. corn starch, 1/2 c. rice flour, 2 c. water, 2 t. cream of tartar, 1 c. salt and 1 T. oil, mixed together and cooked on the stove. Your recipe simpler!