Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Our Environmental Allergies

I do not want to be remiss in mentioning my daughter Katie who is 6. Last fall she suffered from a ruptured ear drum. It was also determined that she has some mild hearing loss as a result. (And I thought she just wasn’t listening!) During her evaluation the ENT also asked that we have her tested for allergies so see if that was contributing to her sinus and ear infections.
We found out that she is allergic to tree pollen, ragweed, dust mites, mold, and cats. We treated her infection with a 3 week course of antibiotics, and the allergies with Nasonex and Claritin. Her symptoms have really improved and the rupture is healing. There is a good chance that she will not need surgery to repair the rupture. We will find out for sure next week.

After Katie’s diagnosis I started to pay more attention to Ryan’s nasal symptoms. He was always scratching and rubbing his nose. I took him to be tested for environmental allergies. I also needed to have his peanut allergy re tested, as it had been over 2 years. He tested positive for allergies to cats, dust, tree pollen and ragweed. His peanut allergy is still considered to be high.

I have not had Collin tested for environmental allergies. I do suspect that he will develop them. Since spring started he tends to get a runny nose when we play outside for long periods of time. I guess we will find out at his next appointment.

No comments: