Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Medic Alert Bracelet for Food Allergies

I have decided to get a Medic Alert bracelet for my boys with food allergies. I think it will help at the staff at their pre school to remember their allergies. I also worry that if we were to be in an accident Collin could be given something as innocent as a cracker, and end up having a reaction.

I have been scouring the internet in search for alternatives to the bulky chain bracelets. I guess the best bracelets I have found are the nylon bands with a metal buckle piece that slide on it. I am not sure I can fit all seven of his allergies on the metal along with our emergency contact information on that particular style.

Do any of you have medic alert bracelets for food allergies? Where did you get it and what information did you have printed on it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have purchased a velcro cloth bracelet and a metal one from Medicalert that says peanut allergy, anaphylaxis, use epi-pen, dial 911. The velcro one appears to be more comfortable for my son, but is too large. I need to trim the fabric so it doesn't stick out before preschool starts in September. Other children at the Elementary School near my house have the metal medicalert bracelets.

Libby said...

This is the style we have for our four year old son:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/47k6jo

We have his name, date of birth, and all seven food allergies listed on it. We do not have contact info, since at this point, the only time he is not with my husband or me is when he is at pre-school or with a very trusted family member or friend.

Hope this helps! Libby

Modern Allergy Mom said...

Thanks for your feedback! I think velcro will be the way to so for us. After we retest his allergies next week, I will order one and let you all know how it turns out.